If you remember, I began my first cider approximately a month ago. After taking another gravity sample, I decided that it was finished and bottled. The gravity reading was 1.006 which is much lower than the gravity reading I took a couple of weeks ago (1.020) and much drier and tart that the previous sample.
I was toying with the idea of bottling a gallon still (uncarbonated), but after drinking the sample, I decided against it. I’m hoping that some carbonation will help.
Just like when I bottle beer, I added some sugar to prime. This time however, I used apple juice to prime. After some calculations on how much juice to add to get the appropriate amount of sugar, I added 2.5 cups for the 4 gallons of cider. After mixing that in, I bottled 1 case, which is actually a little more than half of the 4 gallon batch.
For the remainder (17 bottles), I added a cinnamon tea to try and add some cinnamon flavor to the cider. To do that I boiled a couple of cinnamon sticks in some water. I tasted the tea and it seemed pretty weak so I don’t know how much flavor I’m going to get out of the effort. Depending on how it turns out, I may try alternatives.
Now that the work is done, I just have to wait for the bottles to condition.
P.S. - I actually had a half bottle extra (that seems to be a recurring theme) after everything was bottled. I’m chilling it in the fridge to try later. It’s one of the cinnamon bottles so I should get an idea of what happened there.
P.P.S. - I need to hit up Home Depot and get some supplies to make a dip tube to make my bottling life a bit easier.